Monday, February 23, 2009

A Set of Curtain Paintings in my Solo Show

"Hoop Dream" oil on linen 6"x 12"by Amy Crehore 2009
"Smoking Pussycat Dream" 6" x 12"oil on linen by Amy Crehore 2009
Some of those vintage portraits from the 1920's of Ziegfeld girls have hoops in them. I painted my first hula hoop painting back in 2005 (one of my "Little Pierrots" called "Hula Hoop Blues") without realizing that it was a classic motif in the old photographs of Alfred Cheney Johnston. The pose in this "Hoop Dream" painting was inspired by one such photo. The bottom painting has a pose that I just made up with a funny little cat smoking, also from my imagination. I thought it would be nice to make a pair of paintings that related to each other.
The Art of Amy Crehore
See these at Thinkspace Gallery in L.A. until March 6th.
All artwork in this show is copyright 2009 Amy Crehore

No comments: