Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Female Form - Angles and Curves

Painting by Paul Cuvelier
"Composition" by Paul Cuvelier


Magritte's "The Dangerous Liason"
(Thanks to Art Deco blog )

I've been painting today, but the weather is acting up, so my oil paint is not going on very smoothly. It's frustrating. Had to wipe it down again. I decided that I had better quit for the day so as not to ruin what I've already got down. I thought we were well into spring, but the weather is not cooperating. It almost snowed earlier.

Anyhow, I thought I'd post these titillating images that I found. The top two are by Paul Cuvelier who was a comics artist (he created a series called Corentin, commissioned by Tin Tin's Herge). He was also an incredible painter. It looks like he had that "two women" composition thing down. More of his art to be found here. He did not live very long, unfortunately, and Corentin was not that successful and it ultimately wore him down and he quit comics. He spent the last 5 years of his life painting. The bottom painting is by Magritte, who did some very unusual things with the female form.

The Art of Amy Crehore


No comments: