Friday, August 29, 2008

Wandering Mind and Memory

Art by SETH

The Walrus Magazine has a great interview with Seth by Sean Rogers on their comics blog, Four Color Words I can really identify with his ideas about the importance of memory in relation to his art. I have been working this way, too. I don't really draw directly from life or reference materials anymore; I draw using memories of how things I have already seen and experienced felt, thus coming up with my own pictorial symbols. He also talks about nostalgia as it applies to his process. This is only part one of the interview, so stay tuned for part two! Also, in the Sept. issue of The Walrus, there is an an essay by Seth called: "The Quiet Art of Cartooning". He talks about his wandering mind while he sits alone drawing in his basement studio everyday. I can so relate to all of this. Thanks, Seth for putting it into words.
Here's a bio of Seth from "Drawn and Quarterly" where you can get Seth's books.

No comments: