Thursday, June 05, 2008

Bartolomeo Veneto

Bartolomeo Veneto was painting in the early 1500s. He was a popular portrait artist in Milan by 1520 and probably studied under Bellini. The Getty Museum has a nice painting of a Lady with a Lute. The painting I have shown here is in the Städel museum and it's called “Lucrezia Borgia”. I like the woman's sideways glance, her delicate fingers holding a tiny bouquet and, of course, the one boob exposed is always a classic motif. This painting reminds me of Botticelli. (Thanks, Femme )

2 comments:

Philip Barrett said...

Google Ms. Borgia, I think you'll be surprised.

Amy Crehore said...

Thanks, Phil! I learn something new everyday. So, this portrait is only thought to be Lucrezia Borgia.... but, her controversial life inspired all kinds of films, novels, plays. Read about her here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucrezia_Borgia