Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sam Chatmon and Hokum Music


In 1990, the Hokum Scorchers recorded a song called, "The Leads All Gone". It was originally done by Bo Carter (a.k.a. Bo Chatmon) in 1931 as "My Pencil Won't Write No More" and later it was recorded in 1980 by his brother Sam Chatmon on Flying Fish Records as "Pencil Lead Blues".
Here is an actual YouTube video of Sam Chatmon in 1978 performing a song called, "That's My Gal". For more performances by Sam on YouTube follow this LINK
If you would like to hear the Hokum Scorcher's perform "The Leads All Gone" (1990) follow this link and scroll down for music player. Lou Reimuller is singing and playing the National guitar and kazoo and I am singing, playing washboard and kazoo. (I switch this song every Sunday.)
The Hokum Scorcher song on my website will be a different one most likely by the time you read this.

No comments: