Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Rockwell for Collier's Magazine 1919

Last night on PBS Antiques Roadshow (Eugene, OR !) someone brought in a really old Rockwell painting. They appraised it at half a million. It is a nice one called "The Little Model". This painting is one of only four that Rockwell painted for Collier's magazine (1919, cover). I rather like it and I am surprised how large he painted his illustration work (using oils). I'll get to see it since it is on display now at the museum in my town. I don't think I have ever seen a Rockwell in person.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy,

we saw this last night and I was wondering if you were watching.

T & A from RVA

Bret Littlehales said...

There was an exhibit here in DC a couple of years back of Rockwell's paintings and drawing from the Lucas and Speilberg collections.

They're breathtaking- beautifully and very fully painted. I wrote about them here:
http://bretlittlehales.blogspot.com/2010/08/norman-rockwell-again.html

Hope you enjoy seeing this one!

Bret

Amy Crehore said...

Thanks, Bret!