Friday, September 30, 2011

Loren Munk Paintings at Lesley Heller Workspace NYC until Oct.16th, 2011

"Village of the Damned" 2004-2005 60"x72" oil on linen by Loren Munk
Photo of Loren Munks's paintings in progress in his studio from Anaba blog
Some paintings take time to complete. Sometimes they take 3 years. Ask Balthus. Such is the case for Loren Munk's colorful and complicated paintings that document and map the history of the New York art scene. Roberta Smith's great review in the NY Times described one large piece as "a telephone switchboard run amok". I like these paintings and I like Loren. Loren Munk is also known as James Kalm (the guy on the bike) who makes little films of art shows in NYC. He may not remember me, but he was kind enough to interview and film me outside of my Brooklyn show at Ad Hoc Gallery in the summer of 2008. Here's a link to that video.
You can see Loren Munk's paintings through 
Oct. 16th at Lesley Heller Workspace, 54 Orchard St., NYC. 

No comments: