Thursday, July 29, 2010

Current Inspiration, Another Dead Genius



I have a nice book on Robert Schwartz called "Dream Games" (published in 2004 by the San Jose Museum of Art). He has been a favorite of mine for quite a few years. Unfortunately, he died at age 53 of a rare protein disorder in the year 2000. His gouache paintings were very intricate, surreal and original. He packed a lot of soul into his tiny narratives. There is no one quite like him. I'd love to be able to see a few of these paintings when I visit San Francisco next month. (Hackett Mill Gallery: LINK to above images) Sadly, I can't find much about this GREAT painter on the internet. I'm glad that I own this awesome book to inspire me. You will find a few more images here: San Jose Museum of Art
The book has over 80 paintings and may be hard to find. There are a couple of copies on amazon: amazon.

No comments: