Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Trompe l'oeil Banjo Uke


Uke Design Drawings copyright Amy Crehore 2010
Here's the sketch for the head and headstock of the antique Slingerland birds-eye maple banjo uke (1920s) that I am currently painting. This one is a lot like my
black tuxedo uke, but it is blond-color. I have created an original design (shown above) where the little pierrot is popping through the head. Looks a little bit like trompe l'oeil. I am having fun painting it. I will show you photos of the finished ukulele when I'm done, so stay tuned.
These vintage ukes are like "found objects" to me - transformed into fine art objects. Each instrument is lovingly restored to playability by my luthier (I wouldn't have it any other way). This one is in excellent shape. The banjo heads, for me, are just like painting on stretched canvas -complete with their metal and wooden frames. Each one is different and unique. For more info on this hot little jazz age instrument- Wikipedia: Banjolele or Banjo Ukes.
I am also currently working on some regular canvases and a letterpress print project. Although I play vintage music now and again, my main concentration is painting. I feel like my art should reflect everything that I am interested in.
If you'd like a Banjo Gal print for $40, be sure to order by midnight March 3, PST.

No comments: