Thursday, April 08, 2010

Angel Zarraga, Painter of Nudes 1886-1946

Desnudo de Espalda con Caracol. 1926.
La femme et le pantin. 1909.

La bailarina desnuda. 1907.
Angel Zarraga was a sensitive Mexican painter in the classical tradition. His symbolist compositions were exhibited all over Europe and, later, in New York. He lived in France for a long time, but returned to his homeland in 1941 after an economic downturn in the art market.
I like these nudes. Very interesting. He liked Giotto and so do I.

The Art of Amy Crehore


ЯazyeL. said...

the two paintings are in

Amy said...

Yes, thanks for the link! Great paintings!

Sugarpie said...

Oh I love his work as well.
His paintings always made me think of Cezanne, they both used such a vivid palate and seemed to enjoy painting people in natural surroundings.
My favorite is "La bailarina desnuda", a casual, graceful stance and such delicate hands but the scarf is oddly interesting with almost a nun-like innocence.
His nudes weren't as curvy and soft as some others who painted nudes in that time but are better porportioned I think.
Wouldn't you just love to see some of the old murals he painted in the castles and elsewhere?
Thanks Amy, I look forward to your email updates everyday, you always have such interesting posts.

Amy Crehore said...

I read that he was into Cezanne. Thanks, sugarpie!