Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Vintage Ukuleles -My Inspiration!

Uke design copyright 2010 Amy Crehore
I can't stop now! I have a few more vintage instruments to enhance with art - including a "minty" (in more ways than one) green Montgomery Ward duco-finished uke from the 1920's. It was found carefully preserved in the original mail order box. (It matches my "Demon" uke.) Can't wait to paint a design on that one.
Above, is a little sketch I came up with for the headstock of a blond-color vintage banjo-uke that someone kindly gave to me after my art show last year. The tuners were missing and it needed some clean-up. It's a Slingerland style-uke that has now been restored to a nice shine. An authentic set of vintage tuners were found to fit it. Luckily, my luthier loves removing rust from brackets,etc. (This one matches my Slingerland black "Tuxedo" uke.)
In fact, this weekend would be the anniversary of my "Dreamgirls and Ukes" show in L.A. .(A lot of the paintings and ukes from this art show have now found happy homes, but there are still some pieces available -if interested, feel free to contact: amy@amycrehore.com with inquiries.) I am also working on a couple of brand new canvases and a letterpress print right now. Lots to do!
The Art of Amy Crehore

No comments: