Thursday, December 24, 2009

Progress in Painting (Amy Crehore)

Detail of larger composition for a new painting by Amy Crehore
Happy Christmas Eve! I'll be spending this day - and the weeks to come - holed up in my studio working on my series of new paintings. I have recently experienced some breakthroughs with my art -more freedom in my application of paint, more texture. If you have been following me on twitter , you'll know that I mentioned that I like to apply oil paint thickly. I am using a combination of brush strokes to get an impression of nature, not unlike the French in the mid to late 1800s. However, mine is an intuitive approach (not plein-air) which draws upon my memories and feelings of hiking around the hills where I live and other experiences.
My new paintings also have figures interacting with each other (and with nature). While I am still making preliminary sketches and composing my imaginary figures first (detail of one shown above), the settings they inhabit are being constructed as I paint them. Sometimes the process feels as though I am writing a novel without words, in my own made-up language. I am having fun inventing new people and taking them in a new narrative direction. More freedom of style, yet it is all basically rooted in what came before (in my art). Colors, music, mood, interaction of figures.
I can't wait to show you, but the only way for me to really be creative and make significant progress is to shut myself off from the world and get lost in the activity. To paint for myself first. Now is the time to do this. I give thanks to all of the wonderful supporters of my art in 2009. May 2010 be filled with new art to share with you. I'll still be blogging everyday about things that I find interesting, and periodically sharing my progress with you.
The Art of Amy Crehore

No comments: