Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Cemetery Statues




Photo by David Robinson
Cemeteries and cemetery statues have always been fascinating to me - the more ancient the better. Here is a selection of soulful statues from all over the world. I love how the guy's face in the top photo is half gone. The bent-over women in the middle photo - look at her hand- it is so tense with grief. What an amazing sculpture. My favorite cemetery is located in Richmond, VA. It's actually called Hollywood Cemetery. I spent a lot of time in my youth roaming around this place. Located on a scenic bluff overlooking the James River, it's a place full of history and beauty - take the virtual tour:

1 comment:

Ina said...

Thanks for the link Amy. I'm never really a fan of wandering around cemetaries, something to do with the atmosphere, but you do sometimes find some spectacular sculptures inside - so a virtual tour is ideal.

If you ever get over to Europe, one place I'd have to suggest you 'do' is the Père Lachaise cemetery in Paris, there's some gorgeous work there, some of it with that 'ancient' twist of erosion and fading you noted in the first image.