Saturday, July 01, 2006

Antonio Donghi, 1897-1963, Painter of Theater

I love the paintings of Antonio Donghi. About five years ago, my friend in Milan sent me an art book (which is now out of print), written in Italian, of Antonio Donghi's work.

Donghi painted during the time period of 1920 through1950- images of men, women and children on stage and behind the scenes. There are actors, singers, musicians, harlequins, jugglers, animal acts and pierrots. His style is refined with a subtle sense humor. There is a surreal, narrative quality to his work, yet he shows nothing out of the ordinary. This is the life of the theater and those who inhabit it and their relationships to each other. It's a quiet study of the people who perform for us.

Donghi, to me, is a kindred spirit. My book on this great, but obscure artist, is one of my most treasured possessions.

For more images: Antonio Donghi



www.amycrehore.com

No comments: